Promising Practices Award
Nomination Deadline September 30, 2019
About the Promising Practices Award
This award recognizes Promising Practices in areas pertaining to Student Affairs and Academic Affairs Collaboration. This award is sponsored by the Student Affairs Partnering with Academic Affairs (SAPAA) Knowledge Community (KC) within NASPA. NASPA membership is not required to nominate a program or service for this award.
In the first Learning Reconsidered publication, it states: "Learning Reconsidered is an argument for the integrated use of all of higher education's resources in the education and preparation of the whole student. It is also an introduction to new ways of understanding and supporting learning and development as intertwined, inseparable elements of the student experience. It advocates for transformative education – a holistic process of learning that places the student at the center of the learning experience."
As Learning Reconsidered articulates, we as higher education professionals are challenged to find ways to bridge the academic and co-curricular aspects of a student's experience.
SAPAA recognizes that there are many great examples of promising practices that exist in academia. In this spirit, we ask you to nominate programs and services that contribute to collaboration or integration of student and academic affairs in a college or university setting. Without question, we can all benefit from learning about successful educational endeavors in these collaborations from our colleagues.
Timeline for the Promising Practices Award
The following timeline is in place for the 2020 Promising Practices Award:
- August 1, 2019: Nominations for Promising Practices Award Opens.
- September 30, 2019: Deadline to submit nominations via email
- December 2019: Notification of award status sent via email to nominator
- March 2020: Award presented at the SAPAA Business Meeting at the 2020 NASPA Annual Conference
To nominate a promising practice, please follow the steps outlined below:
- Create a nomination packet with the necessary components as outlined on page two.
- Save your completed nomination packet in PDF format as “[Institution Name] Promising Practice 2020”
- Submit nomination packet by September 30, 2019.
- Upon receipt of your nomination packet, you will receive an email confirmation.
Questions about the Promising Practices Award or submission process can be directed to Elizabeth Boretz and Melissa Webb at NASPAPromisingPractices@gmail.com
Promising Practices award recipients will be included in the awards booklet at the NASPA Annual Conference listed on the SAPAA website.
2018 | Miller Business Honors Program
- Ball State University
2018 (Honorable Mention) | AVIATE
- University of Dayton
2017 | Student Success Teams: A Collaborative Model
- California State University, Fullerton
2017 (Honorable Mention) | PolyTransfer Program & the White House Initiative on Educational Excellence for Hispanics
- California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
2016 | The Curricular Infusion of Career Development Project
- Atlantic Cape Community College
2016 (Honorable Mention) | ESCAPE: Mock Crisis
- St. John's University
2015 | Building Bridges Mentoring Program
- University of Notre Dame
2015 (Honorable Mention) | Blue Hen Leadership Program
- University of Delaware